Thursday, January 23, 2014

Boring man speaks out.

I suppose many Australians are gearing up for two fulls days of solid drinking, over the weekend; doubtless more violence in and around the Cross. Personally, I;ve never seen the pleasure of drinking simply to get drunk, which seems to be a habit with a lot of young people . . . as usual, Shakespeare has a word for it: 'I have very poor and unhappy brains for drinking: I could well wish courtesy would invent some other custom of entertainment.' (Othello, II/3 since you ask). I've only been drunk about twice in my life - the last time certainly fifty years ago - and didn't care for it at all (remember W. C. Fields, suffering from his daily hangover and asked if he would like a Bromo-Selzer: 'God, no!' he said, 'I couldn't stand the noise.') One drink a day, round about six, is the thing in our house, and we'd certainly be sorry to be deprived of it; but more for the signal that work is over than anything else. Not even very keen on wine, or at least not the kind of wine I can afford. I'm just very boring indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment