Thursday, November 23, 2017

How do the men arrange for women ?

Friday, July 8th – I went down to Montparnasse for dinner last night. There was also present young P., a youth of 23 or so, rosy, healthy, reserved, mannered, with the University twang; tremendously English; a little shy and nervous but underneath that a happy and proud conviction that Cambridge stood for all that was highest in human civilisation; he had just been made a fellow of his college. At about 11 p.m. I went with P. and B. to the Red Bullier. The Bal and the garden were crowded on this hot summer night and the whole scene was beautiful, charming and entirely wonderful. P. thought the general effect was ‘pretty’. But on the whole neither he nor B. saw much to admire. The spirit of the place, the singular ‘Latin’ charm, escaped them. They looked on it as a haunt of ‘vice’, and dull at that. I told them what I thought of it. I said that when they grew older they might possible admire what they did not admire now. They admitted the possibility, and deplored it. ‘You mustn’t think,’ I sad, ‘that I despise your ideas.’ ‘Oh, don’t trouble about that,’ said P., with that cruel affectation of humility which youth outs on; ‘I’m quite used to having my ideas deplored.’ I could see he was incapable of imaginatively realizing that at the present moment he might be blind to certain forms and aspects of beauty which later would reveal themselves to him. They both thought all the women ugly and graceless. We had a drink in the garden. ‘How do the men arrange for women at Oxford and Cambridge?’ I asked P. bluntly. I meant to startle him. He was startled. However, I got him to talk after a bit. He said that up to 60 years ago (he thought) colleges had their special stews. But these were now done away with. There were cocottes at both places for undergraduates &c. But men found it pleasanter to run up to town. I said, ‘I’m not talking about undergraduates; I’m taking about dons, fellows, etc. – the mature men who are not married.’ He assured me that the vast majority were chaste, and that unmarried public opinion – the opinion of smoking-parties and late evenings – was honestly and sincerely against irregular intercourse. I said that I was astounded. I said I had never heard tell of such a class of men before. They were surprised that I was astounded – P. and B. were. I could see that they regarded me with  mild, impartial and dignified curiosity as a strange sort of person with ill-regulated ideas. P. thought that human nature was becoming more ‘moral’ – that there was ‘a change for the better’ in the last century. He talked neatly, and I think sincerely. He believed in greater freedom for sexual unions of a permanent kind – he knew two couples who were not married and who were nevertheless received everywhere. But (he continued) this increased freedom could only go ‘hand in hand with’ a decrease in prostitution. I listened. I respected him. He could not help being slightly priggish. I did not express my views, but I kept recurring to my amazement at the existence of a body of unmarried men, not priests, in whom chastity was the rule. And they thought more and more what a naïve creature I was. But of course I must have inspired them with doubt as to their own position. ‘Don’t you think women are the most interesting thing in the world?’ I asked. P. considered judicially. ‘One of the most interesting!’ he said. I gathered that both of these men were virgin. Ad I am sure that they looked on the ‘initiation’ as a mere formality to be gone through. They neither of them thought, honestly that they had anything to learn. They were tolerant, from their heights, towards the pathetic spectacle of humanity. Always B was the least priggish and convinced. But I liked them both. Essentially, they were rather girlish, . As I drove home, I thought the whole episode was rather funny. I don’t suppose that P. is likely to change much. He is too deeply impregnated, by heredity and tradition and upbringing, with ‘English culture’ – he is incapable of seeing the ‘Latin’ side of things in general. He is the sort of man who has ;made England what it is.’ He stands for all that is best, and all that is worst and most exasperating, in the English character.

                                                                                        Journals of Arnold Bennett, July 8th 1904

No comments:

Post a Comment